The history of Gagliole is dated in pre-Roman times with the discovery of prehistoric settlements made on several occasions in the valley of Potenza and Colle Marte. Are the traces of the Middle Ages, however, still evident today: the castle, the fortress, Marche's military engineering excellence, Santa Maria della Pieve. Architecture and art are narrow in a combination that is strengthened for the penetration in a natural fabric which provides the starting point for unforgettable excursions: Prati, Valle dell'Elce, Grotta dell'Elce and Pozzo of Sasso. A tour that also includes the localities that bear witness to the centuries-old farming and the practice of religious faith traditionally associated with it: the mills alternate with buildings of cult, temples and hermitages of priceless historical value and rich in precious frescoes such as the Madonna delle Macchie .
Upstream of the church of St. John of Acquosi high rises to 590 mt. s.l.m. Hill Mars Hill where in 1919 were carried out archaeological excavations which brought to light a Neolithic nocropoli whose relics are kept at the National Archaeological Museum of Marche. Similar findings were later also found to Acquosi (437 mt. Above sea level) and Bridge Crispiero.
Church of Saint Giuseppe
Small church at the right of the main door of the castle of Gagliole, shows, on what was once the wall of the apse, a beautiful Nativity. The fresco is contained in a niche round arch and are represented all the traditional subjects and two shepherds in the background, in the foreground ruins of a ruined architecture that serves as a barn in the distance landscapes.
It is dated 1530, starting with the date, as well as the fact of having repeated many details in works of the same subject, as well as for the style, the painting was attributed to Giovanni Andrea de Magistris. On either side of a niche in Saint Sebastian and Saint Rocco, dating back perhaps, hold the sacred image still fairly well preserved. The church is open every day.
Gagliole - Christus Patiens
This Christus Patiens jealously guarded in the Oratory of St. Joseph shows profound realism with a certain pathos, concentrated in bloody wounds and veins clearly visible opposite the serene calmness of the face, eyes and mouth half-open, surrounded by a large crown of thorns in rope intertwined. Especially beautiful is the long thong embellished with gold decorations. The artist has used green ground scattered with egg yolk for embodied and lapis lazuli mixed with animal glue for the thong, which has a good technical expertise and knowledge of materials.
Gagliole - The tabernacle
Adorns the main altar of the church of San Lorenzo, built starting in 1673. Conceived not as a newsagent for the Sacrament, but as a place dedicated to the custody of the body of Christ, with fixed location and central on the altar, definitely was produced between the late sixteenth and early seventeenth century. The structure at the temple is made of poplar, four faces and four orders but superimposed on a hexagonal base. Taste of the late sixteenth century, appears to stretch from the designs of Vasari. The second order in the shape of temple has been made over the centuries, removable obtaining also an opening to fit tabernacle. Repeats in a symmetrical manner the lower order and is closed by a balustrade; at the top a dome lantern.
Gagliole - Newsagents and Frescoes
In the Gagliole nursing home the holy miracle-workers Sebastian and Antonio complete the fresco by Lorenzo D'Alessandro that originally adorned the shrine located along the road that leads to the Sanctuary of Madonna delle Macchie.
The painter, who in the same year will carry the Pietà which is now in the picture gallery of San Severino Marche and the altarpiece of the Dominicans in Fabriano now in the National Gallery in London, it seems to revive the youth spent with the school of Camerino, in particular with Girolamo di Giovanni .
Gagliole - San Sebastiano
The large statue that can be seen in the Oratory of St. Joseph, is different from others in the chiasm reversed, obtained by loading the weight on the left foot, offsetting raising his right arm over his head while the left foot is visibly moved backwards .
The face turned towards the high fits perfectly in the arch created by the movement of the arm raised. The whole figure was performed in a serene and classic taste and the artistic level reached by the sculptor is very high and seems to find stylistic evidence in the corpus di epere attributed to the hand of Domenico Indivini.
Edicule of Cerqueto
It is preserved in the nursing home Chierichetti and comes from a tabernacle from Cerqueto road, along the road from the castle of Gagliole leads to the Sanctuary of Madonna delle Macchie. The fresco by Lorenzo D'Alessandro is the Madama Enthroned with Child sleeper. Within the niche, the wonder-working saints Anthony the Abbot and Sebastian. The cult of St. Anthony had a great following among the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries following the Golden Legend (1250), in which Jacopo da Varazze chronicles the lives of the saints, martyrs and prophets weaving faith, legend and history. The work will be long an irreplaceable source for writers and artists.
At the foot of San Vicino, between the buildings there is a modern farm, there is a small church with an apse: is all that remains of the powerful Benedictine abbey of Valfucina, an ancient religious complex, which collapsed during the earthquake in 1799 and of which you can visit the crypt. In the moment of maximum expansion (first half of the thirteenth century), its possessions extended throughout a large part of the valley.
The entrance was guarded by Elcito castle, built by the monks in defense of the monastery and as the residence of the abbot. A large collection of parchments can reconstruct its historical events until to 1489, when its assets were assigned to the Collegiate Church of San Severino. Near the church, a rocky outcrop shows the signs of the quarry from which they drew the materials for the construction of the ancient monastery.
Proceeding along the road that connects Gagliole to Matelica, about 1,500 km from the nearest village, lies the village of Acquosi, to distinguish in Acquosi Acquosi high and low (or Villa Baldoni and Acquosi at 489 mt at 438 mt). Upstream of Villa Baldoni there is the church on St. John, the oldest building in this part of the territory. It 'just refers to this church that the document that mentions Acquosi in 1198: it states that it was subject to the Abbey of Sant'Angelo below Ostia of Esanatoglia. Acquosi reappears as a villa in the notarial documentation of the sixteenth century.
Gagliole - Churches
In the amazing tour of the churches of Gagliole, the honor place is reserved certainly to the Sanctuary of Santa Maria delle Macchie (in photo a particular of a fresco), a true monument to the art as well as an ancient place of worship.
Madonna della Pieve, also known as the Pieve of San Zenone, architecturally back to the thirteenth century, with decorative paintings attributed to Bernardino di Mariotto is inserted fully into the successful season of the schools of San Severino and Camerino.
Not least is the artistic offerings of San Michele Arcangelo which also includes intense works of marcamontana wooden cycle , a cycle that makes a stop in St. Joseph where, between a fresco and the other signed by De Magistris, you can admire a Crucifix polychrome wooden sixteenth century of great value and artistic style.
From the square outside the walls begin two paths, that of the Gagliole Meadows and that of Valley Dell'Elce that you meet after a kilometer of common path. Small "humps" and small depressions animate the top of the hill. At the edge of the area is limited by the woods that rise from the slopes with a few areas reforested with conifers. Expansive and generous pastures are the summer residence of the cattle left in the wild. The grasses of the pasture and the rich spring blooms fill the air with their fragrance. Juniper, hazel, hawthorn, make the environment hospitable to nightingales, greenfinches, robins, finches, chickadees, owls, buzzards, kestrels, owls and barn owls.
The environment and landscape
The municipal area of Gaglole, where there is the Environmental Education Center of the Montana, has three landscape-environmental complexes: high hills, with some chestnut woods, on which stands the city; low hills that gently slope between the towns of castelraimondo and Matelica, cultivated hills dotted with oaks and camporili; woodland consisting mainly of oak with bright and rich undergrowth of shrubs and herbs that give rise to showy spring blooms. Rich fauna, among which the golden eagle, wolf, roe deer and wild boar. In some areas the landscape is suggestive: where the source siphon emerges on the high rocky ridges at Sasso Pozzo and where the vertical cliffs of the Gorges Dell'Elce create an environment rich in rare species of ferns.
Gagliole - Art
The painting is maybe the art that left in Gagliole the most significant treasures. The fresco of the aedicule votive Cerqueto is by Lorenzo D'Alessandro. It was located along the road from the Castle of Gagliole leads to the Sanctuary of Madonna delle Macchie, other real art gallery with frescoes by Diotallevi Angeluccio,, while Madonna della Pieve, with decorations attributed to Bernardino di Mariotto, is part of a full in the testimonies of the successful season of the schools of San Severino and Camerino. Not least the artistic offerings of San Michele Arcangelo which also includes intense works of the wooden cycle of marcamontana that makes a stop in St. Joseph where, between a fresco and the other signed by De Magistris, you can admire a polychrome wooden crucifix in the sixteenth century of great value and artistic style.
The Gagliole's castle was built, presumably in the twelfth century, by the will of the City of Camerino, on a hill 484 meters above sea level. on the border with San Severino Marche. Gentile da Varano enlarged it on several occasions with walls, gates and towers, and the highest point, with the fortress. It is built on top of a sandstone outcrop completely covered by a base of white limestone which is an impressive wall carp. Since its erection, Gagliole was continually fought until the sixteenth century between the two municipalities with bitter wars which also participated Francesco Sforza. It is considered one of the most significant monuments of Military Marches.