Sefro occupies the basin of the Scarzito, a tributary of Potenza, fish-rich waters fed by the basin Montelago. The nature triumphs: walks in the woods, on foot or by mountain bike, meeting with deer, wild boars, porcupines, badgers, herons, hawks and buzzards. Intersect the sweep of cooked for the production of charcoal, the paths do not fail to shrines and crosses, because the territory was crossed by shepherds, woodcutters, pilgrims, adventurers and bandits, and especially because there have been period in which many people in search of peace, they built their hermitages. To eat after hiking you trust your local specialties: Marche cattle, grazing wild, rainbow trout and salmon, truffle specialties and mushrooms and the typical "crescia" great if stuffed with "rugni."
The Secret of the Enchanted Wood
No need to say that there's a child living inside everyone of us, or the memory of the child we were. But... when do we see this child? Is it when we stop at a pastry shop window? Or is it when we take our children to an amusement resort and we find out that we are having a wonderful time like our children, or even more.
Inside the little town of Sefro, two steps from the municipality building and the square, a small village has been built, a place capable to get that child out of us.
Its name is "Il Segreto del Bosco Incantato", "The Secret of the Enchanted Wood".
The Church of Santa Maria Assunta
Coord. WGS84 N 43°08'47,05" E 12° 56'58,38"
Altitude: 511 mt
The parish church of Santa Maria Assunta, was rebuilt in its present form between 1887 and 1893 in the Town Square and opened on the feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, September 8, 1893. In the Middle Ages in its place stood an ancient parish church, probably built around the year one thousand, at the same time to the birth of the City of Sefro, which represented the most important point of reference for the population of Sefro. No traces remain of the ancient walls, but the earliest records of its existence date back to 1333-1334, when the collection of tithes. It appears in the list of the Diocese of Nocera of the fifteenth century and its central role is evidenced by the fact that are linked to the Pieve many clergymen and priests from other churches. Moreover, the existence of the ancient church is certainly confirmed by the presence of some works of art that were kept inside and are still visible in the current building.
The Church of St. Tossano
Coord. WGS84 N 43 ° 08 '56.55 "E 12 ° 58' 19.62"
Quote: 547 mt
At the entrance of the village of Agolla, near the small cemetery, stands the Church of St. Tossano, which can be reached along a short climb. For centuries it has served as a parish church and also the cemetery and is dedicated to St. Tossano a saint of which we have little information and to whom it is dedicated just another church in Esanatoglia. Although the present building seems to date back to the fifteenth century, their presence is recorded from January 12, 1300, when he was appointed a Gentile chaplain of the church of S. Tossano "de Avolla." However, the largest number of information related to the church has in the fifteenth century, in the documentation of notarial acts relating to the election of several rectors of the church.In pastoral visits in the coming years, the church is mentioned together with that of St. Michael the Archangel, located in the town square.
The Church of Our Lady of Calcinari
COORDINATES WGS84 N 43°08'59,58" E 12°57'19,26"
Altitude: 517 mt
One of the first buildings you encounter upon entering the country, near the district of Casci, is the church of Our Lady of Calcinari, a single nave building with a gabled facade and a wall leaning against the side of the mountain, which seems to go back the fifteenth century. The first certain dates back to the Report of the Pastoral Visit of Bishop Camgliani on September 25, 1573, which stated that it was visited the church or oratory of Santa Maria dei Calcinari. Inside the church, between the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries were performed numerous votive paintings, but today, unfortunately, only fourteen of them have survived to wear man and time.
The Church of St. Michael Archangel
Coord. WGS84 N 43°08'46.37" E 12°58'22.97"
Quote: 556 mt
Located in the village square is currently performing the function of the parish church. It is a building of the nineteenth century, built after it officially became the parish, inheriting the title of San Tossano. Earlier in his place stood a small old building dedicated to St Michael Archangel. The oldest news about the church are related to notarial acts and dates back to the fifteenth century. In 1582, appointing the "Sacellum Sancti Angeli" where it was forbidden to celebrate religious functions because the structure was run down. The church was renovated and expanded, and in the following years is mentioned, also in deeds, together with the church of San Tossano.
The Town Hall
Coord. WGS84 N 43 ° 08 '46.78 "E 12 ° 56' 57.21"
Quote: 511 mt
Near the church, in the town square, we find the old Town Hall, which now houses of the Municipality of Sefro.
The Palace, to which was added a plan for raising, despite the modifications made to preserve, in the two original levels, the ancient walled structure with a fifteenth-century portal. Do not it have some news that testify to its existence in the same period of the birth of the municipality, in 1240 or in 1259, but it is already built on 11 March 1298, when "in front of the town hall, the Council and the Camerlengo of the Municipality of Sefro formed Uguccinello" Uguctionis "their attorney" for the fight with Pioraco.
Coord. WGS84 N 43°08'54,82" E 12°57'01,02"
Near the church of St. Peter we find the remains of a medieval building that at one time, thanks to a small valley that conveyed a part of the river Scarzito, have served as a water mill. Probably the building was built in the Middle Ages with the oldest settlements of Sefro, but the first certain news of its existence is derived from the Statutes of 1423. Certainly until the first half of 1800 the mill was still working and "driven by two wheels." In the early years of the 900 this structure has been used to build the first plant for the production of electricity, which used the waters of the Scarzito. Probably some of the machinery, still preserved inside the mill, were related precisely to this activity, which remained in operation until 1922.
The surrounding environment is invaded by a thick and overgrown vegetation that obscures the view of the walls of the building and prevents it from approach.
The Caves of the Blessed Bernard of Quintavalle from Assisi
CAVES AND HERMITAGES
Coord. WGS84 N 43°08'02,40" E 12°56'21,79"
Quote: 693 mt
Other remains associated with the life of a Franciscan friar, Blessed Bernardo Quintavalle, it can still trace inside the caves located near Mount Crestaio. However, the first news of these sites date back to the thirteenth century, between the years 1237-1239, when the friar Blessed Bernardo Quintavalle from Assisi, a faithful follower of St. Francis, took refuge in the caves of Mount Crestaio at Sefro. The Franciscan, a faithful observer of the rule of the Spirituals, after the death of St. Francis, was forced to flee from Assisi to escape to the persecution of Conventual Franciscans, who wanted to observe the Rule of St. Francis in a lighter way.
Hermitage of St. Benedict
CAVES AND HERMITAGES
Coord. WGS84 N 43°08'33,71" E 12°56'21,86"
In the valleys and around mountains that surround the country, there are still numerous remains of settlements or shelter that housed monks and monks in ancient times. In the Valley of the Hermit, so called by the presence of an ancient hermitage, located between the mountains Vermenone and Linguaro existed since the Middle Ages a small monastic settlement of Benedictine monks-related.
In 1300 this structure was inhabited by monks as, in the collection of tithes was happening at the time, it was appointed by the name of Heremita Legnarie and also there was a prior call Simonetto.
Source and Hermitage of SS. Sepulcher
CAVES AND HERMITAGES
Coord. WGS84 N 43°08'33.90" E 12°55'41.60"
Quote: 950 mt
At the groundwater of Mount Pennino, about 1000 meters above sea level, there is another valley that goes up to the pass called the "Bocchetta della Scurosa." In this place gushes out the abundant water from the source of the Sepulcher and here stood, in the thirteenth century, a church with an hermitage, called SS. Sepulcher, which served as a refreshment to all those who crossed the border between the Marche and Umbria.
A popular legend speaks of a bloody battle between Spoletani and Camerinesi, which would take place in these places in the past, from which the source of the Sepulcher derives its name ... "the clash between the two factions was so violent as to flush the stream for more days."
The Church of San Biagio
Coord. WGS84 N 43°07'04.76" E 12°57'03.14"
Quote: 650 mt
Along the road that goes from Sefro to Montelago, just enter to the town of Sorti and just after the junction for Butino and Cerreto, top right, to 651 m. is the parish church of Sorti, called San Biagio.
The building is composed by the church, the parish house and the bell tower, the last of more recent construction, while the church has been extensively modified from the original structure, which is located in the lower part of the walls and that could be traced back to the early fourteenth century.
Also the interior has been substantially modified, so as to cover the frescoes, dating from at least the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, of which there remains only the face of a Madonna, while other paintings survivors are more recent.
Church of Santa Eurosia – Montelago
Coord. WGS84 N 43°06'48.13" E 12°58'18.76"
Quote: 930 mt
As soon as you arrive at Montelago you notice, in the upper right corner on a sloping hill, a small church with modern featured , built in the mid-sixties on the plans of Aldo Neroni of Fabriano, called "Madonna di Montelago."
Near the church there are the ruins of an older building, in which there was once a barn, a hay hut and a church dedicated to Santa Eurosia.
In medieval times there was a church of San Salvatore de Montelacu, cited in 1333 on the occasion of the payment of tithes, but it is not certain if it was a different building from Santa Eurosia.
Every year at this place is still respected the popular celebration of the feast of the Ascension, a centuries-old event, held today in the church of "Modonna di Montelago."
Church of St. Peter
Coord. WGS84 N 43°08'54.82" E 12°57'01,02"
Quote: 510 mt
The church of St. Peter is one of the oldest buildings in the town, but unfortunately it was possible to recover only the external walls as a result of a conservative wrong.
The earliest news of the church date back to 1333-1334, when Don Venanzo, rector of the same church, he poured on several occasions tithes. It also speaks of St. Peter in the Statutes of 1423, and many notarial acts of the XV century is shown as a place for burials.
Coord. WGS84: N 43°08'50.95" E 12°56'57.36"
Quote: 513 mt
The statutes of 1423 describing a town of modest size, which was the heart of the country and was distributed around the Castrum, while was attributed greater importance to the three districts, still existing, of Casii, Saxorum and Paghi et Gori, especially in the determination of the judiciary.
Today there is no shortage of modern buildings, but the country has maintained the old division into three districts and has retained some of its characters to the medieval era.
Among the districts in which was divided the municipality of Sefro it counts Sassi (Saxorum), in which between the late thirteenth and early fourteenth century, it was built in a central location the Castrum Sefranum. This fortification walls with tower, portico and other buildings was used by the population of Sefro, like many others in the surrounding area, such as a military defense against potential enemies and, in case of attack, have served as a refuge for the community.